Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I used to think my dad was kind of a super hero. He can do anything he put his mind to do. Go back to school when he already had kids, windsurf, learn to dance, or fix any broken household appliance. Now I know my dad is a super hero.

One of my earliest memories of my dad is watching him windsurf on a lake in Orlando. It was like he just picked it up the first try and he had it! Earlier this year, we went to a bridal fair together and he decided he wanted to learn how to ballroom dance for my wedding. A few months later, he and my mom were wearing ballroom dancing shoes and looking like they had years of practice! On my wedding day, he was the best dance partner a girl could ask for!

My dad is a my hero in the sense that I want to be more like him. He loves those around him, he sacrifices what he wants to make other people happy. He's gentle and kind, committed and ethical. He's a godly man; altruistic in his kindness, and conscientious.

One time, my brother said to me, "You ever notice how mom and dad are always trying to make each other more comfortable? That's what I want in my relationship and that's what you should look for." That was very good advice, brother.

My dad used to do projects around the house and let me hold the flashlight. It made me feel helpful. Now that I'm a homeowner, I realize just how incredible his apt for fixing stuff is! I wish I had that talent... Oh, and the athletic ability would be nice, too! And the kind gentle, servant-like character... Once again, he's someone to look up to.

My dad works like a robot, loves like a puppy. He is SO dedicated to his job. A very hard worker who always provided for his family. And loving. He used to give me a hug even as he was taking the keys from me in the middle of the night to ground me for coming in past curfew. It was hard to be mad at him at the time, because he was loving.

My mom loves to watch my dad run. She always says, "Look at him run" when he's running back to the car to get his jacket, or go pick us up because it's raining. She admires him, too.

That's another thing my dad got right. He loves my mom and is committed deeply to her, which says a lot, but that's only the half of it. He chose someone who is very strong, very determined and who loves him. That was a smart move! They are also friends, which is something that I can say I have found myself. "Happiness is being married to your best friend."

Happy Father's day, Dad! I wish I could give you a hug in person!

2 comments:

  1. this brought tears to my eyes, simply because I remember all those qualities in your dad. He is an amazing man! I also remember him taking your keys when we came in PAST CURFEW! He was always so gentle with everything he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great description of Dad! We have the best one in the world! I often begin describing my childhood by saying, "It was kind of like growing up with Mr. Rogers."
    Dad, if you are reading this, thanks for being the who you are. We all love you.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete